Dear Malden Public School Faculty, Staff, and Caregivers,
This provides an outline of the plan that will be implemented by the end of this week for the Accelerated and Enriched Academic Program (A.E.A.P).
On May 2, 2022, School Committee members voted to pause the Accelerated and Enriched Academic Program (A.E.A.P) 2022-2023 enrollment for Grades 1-3. This program is located at the Linden S.T.E.A.M Academy.
- Years the program was paused:
– SY 22-23 Paused (no 3rd grade, 2nd grade and 1st grade)
– SY 21-22 Paused (no 2nd grade and 1st grade)
– SY 20-21 Paused (no 1st grade)
A.E.A.P Overview of the Plan for SY 2022-2023:
1. District Wide open seats will be available for incoming Grades 4-8
The projected number of available seats for grades 4-8 for SY 2022-2023 based on a class size of 25 are as follows:
Grade 4 – 14 seats
Grade 5 – 8 seats
Grade 6 – 6 seats
Grade 7 – 12 seats
Grade 8 – 7 seats
2. ***Updated information: These open seats will be for students currently enrolled at Beebe, Ferryway, Forestdale, Linden, and Salemwood. Linden students will be able to apply for these seats as the rest of their peers across the district.
3. Linden students who were previously accepted via application will be automatically enrolled.
4. ***Updated information: This week, the Welcome Center staff is going to notify caregivers on the students’ current status regarding enrollment in the A.E.A. Program.
5. No preferential seats in the program for siblings, each student will need to meet the criteria for entry
6. Students will participate in all DESE, district and school assessments
7. Transportation is not available
- ***Updated Information: The application forms will be available at the Welcome Center, on the website, via email, and on Tuesday, May 10, 2022 hard copies will be sent home with students.
- Application forms must be completed and submitted to the Welcome Center before June 15, 2022
- All applications will be reviewed by the Welcome Center
- Submission of an application form does not guarantee a seat in the program
- The Welcome Center will notify all applicants on their status no later than July 15, 2022
- Currently enrolled A.E.A.P students will be assessed before June 21, 2022 to gather baseline data for the program.
- Currently enrolled A.E.A.P students do not need to reapply if approved applications are on file.
- 2022 MCAS data during COVID-19 will not be used due to reliability of scores
HOW TO APPLY FOR the 2022-2023 Accelerated and Enriched Academic Program:
Caregivers must take the following steps:
1. Complete the following application form and submit it to the Welcome Center,110 Pleasant Street, Malden before June 15, 2022:
2. Schedule an assessment appointment: Contact Erica Burrion at EBurrion@maldenps.org
3. Students must complete the following assessments for application consideration:
– Writing Sample
– Social Studies IXL assessments
4. Caregivers must submit the following letters of recommendation in sealed envelopes:
– Administrator Recommendation (Principal, Assistant Principal)
– Teacher, Guidance Counselor, or School Adjustment Counselor Recommendation
The A.E.A.P program is going to implement the same curriculum and assessments used at other K-8 schools in the district:
- ELA Grade 4-8 will use Amplify CKLA
- Math Grades 4-5 will use Eureka
- Math Grade 6-8 will use Open Up
- Science Grades 4-8 to be determined by District STEM Directors
- History Grades 4-8 to be determined by District History Director
- Directors, Principals and Coaches will continue participating in UnboundEd Professional Development
- Teachers will continue to join UnboundEd training
- UConn virtual conference–Directors, Principals, and teachers in July 2022.
To address the multiple concerns about the program, the district is developing a long term review during the pause. Below are some of the steps that will begin before the end of the current school year:
- Budget analysis of program cost and sustainability
- Data monitoring of programs success
- Create an Ad-Hoc Sub-Committee
Composition of Ad-Hoc Sub-Committee:
– 2 Central Office Staff assigned by the Superintendent
– 1 Student
– 2 Parents representative of the District
– 1 School based administrator from one of the five K-8 schools
– 1 Teacher from one of the five K-8 schools
Scope of Ad-Hoc Subcommittee will be to review:
– Financial Implications
– Program Policy
– Entry/Exit criteria
– Program Success/Assessment
– Location of Program
If you need more information or have any questions regarding the SY 2022-2023 A.E.A.P, please join us tomorrow, Monday, May 9, 2022 at 6:00pm.
You can find the webinar link in this notification, but if the link does not work due to the automatic features of robocall, you can find the information on our website: MaldenPS.org
You are invited to a Zoom webinar.
When: May 9, 2022 06:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Please click the link below to join the webinar:
Or One tap mobile :
US: +19294362866,,99525703834# or +13017158592,,99525703834#
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
US: +1 929 436 2866 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 669 900 6833 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799
Webinar ID: 995 2570 3834
International numbers available: https://zoom.us/u/abhUFD9xGZ