Special Note – extension to MDPH state mandates for School Immunization and Physical Exam requirements 2020/21 school year
- All required grade 7 & 11 vaccines are given an additional 60 days to complete and submit (until November 16, 2020)
- All required grade 5 & 9 physical exams have been extended 120 days and may include PE’s done after 9/1/2018 to complete and submit (until January 19, 2021)
Health care services are provided by registered nurses in each of our seven schools. Every school has one or more registered nurses available to provide health care services whenever school is in session. With over 68,000 office visits recorded every school year, our primary mission is to provide exceptional health services to support every student’s academic success. A nurse leader supervises district-wide health office activities and assures compliance with regulatory standards set by the Massachusetts Departments of Public Health (MDPH) and Elementary and Secondary Education. A school physician serves as an advisor to the nurses.
For more up to date information please visit our Virtual Health Office Site : https://sites.google.com/maldenps.org/maldenschoolnursesvirtualclass/home
Please help the school nurse care for your child by
- Informing the nurse if your child has any chronic or acute illnesses
- Communicating with the nurse directly if medication or health needs change or if they have been exposed to a communicable disease such as a strep infection or chicken pox
- Updating the phone numbers on your child’s emergency card so the nurse can always reach you
- Sharing with the nurse if there is an event at home or in the family that may impact your child at school such as serious illness or death of a family member, death of a beloved pet.
Please keep your child home when the following symptoms are present
- Temperature of 100 degrees F or greater within the past 24 hours
- Student must be temperature free for 24 hours without use of med (Tylenol/Motrin, etc.)
- Vomiting or diarrhea occurring within the past 24 hours
- Strep infections of any kind, ringworm, conjunctivitis, or impetigo. These are all contagious infections and must be treated with medication for at least 24 hours before returning to school
- Rash of unknown origin-this may indicate many different things and should be checked by your pediatrician
- Pain should be taken seriously, especially in young children. Earaches, toothaches, and headaches should be evaluated
- Untreated lice (pediculosis) infestation
School Health Screenings – per Massachusetts DPH – all school screening are on hold for the 2020-2021 school year.
As mandated by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, School Health Unit, Malden Public Schools performs the following health screenings on students:
Hearing – grades K-3, grade 7, grade 10.
Vision – grades K-5, grade 7, and grade 10.
Height and weight- BMI – grades 1, 4, 7, and 10.
Postural screenings on all students grade 5-9.
SBIRT screenings – grades 7 and 10
If your child fails the Vision, Hearing, or Postural screening—you will be notified by letter for follow up with your own physician.
BMI result letters will not be sent home; if you are interested in knowing your child’s BMI, you need to call the school nurse.
SBIRT screenings will have letters sent home in grade 7 prior to screenings. Opt-out forms are available if needed.
Immunization/Physical requirements K-12
All immunizations must meet Massachusetts minimum requirements and must be certified in writing by a licensed physician before a child is admitted to school.
Massachusetts State law requires the following immunizations:
*Kindergarten entrance requirements:
- DPT (Diphtheria, Pertussis, Tetanus) – 5 doses—- the last dose must be after the age of 4.
- Polio – 4 doses—-the last dose must be after age 4.
- MMR – 2 doses—-the first dose is after the age of 1
- Hepatitis B – 3 doses
- Varicella – 2 doses or documented disease history from MD
- TB test and results or risk assessment from MD
- Physical Exam – within the previous 12 months of school entrance date
- Lead screening – most recent
- Stereopsis Screening, Vision and Hearing screenings
*Grade 5 & 9 additional requirements:
- Physical Exam – completed within the year of grade entrance
*ALL Grades 7 students require:
- 1 dose TDap
- 1 dose MenACWY
* ALL Grade 11 students require – (beginning September 2020)
- 2 doses of MenACWY (one dose given after 16th birthday)
ALL NEW STUDENTS TO MALDEN PUBLIC SCHOOLS:
- Massachusetts State law immunization grade level requirements
- MUST have a current physical exam done within 1 year of entrance to school
- MUST have a current TB test with results
* Physicians must document any medical exemptions.
**Letter written and signed by parent/guardian for religious exemptions – **must renew yearly.
Parents are encouraged to send in a copy of their student’s yearly physical exam so the school health record can be updated.
*The Early Learning Center does not permit any peanut/nut products to be brought in to school.
School Nurse Info
Malden Public Schools – 77 Salem Street, Malden, MA 02148
Patricia Tramondozzi MSN, BSN, RN
Director of Nursing
Marie Filipko, RN, BSN Victoria MacDonald BSN, RN, MEd,NCSN
Early Learning Center
Lori Barrasso RN, BSN, MSN
Renee Domegan RN,MSN Karen Swartwout RN
Kristina Diggin BSN, RN, NCSN
Linden STEAM Academy
Nensi Salamurovic RN,BSN Lauren Kinder BSN, RN
Office: 781-397-1511, 781-397-7014
Malden High School
Maureen Vona BS, MEd, RN Kathy Donohue MSN,BSN,RN Sheila Butler MSN,BSN,RN
Debbi Spadafora MEd, BS, BSN, RN Vonette Zullo BSN, RN