What is Title I?
Title I is a federally funded program that is part of the federal No Child Left Behind legislation. The amount of funding is based upon the number of students who qualify for free and reduced lunch. The major goal of the federal Title I program is to support schools with high numbers of children who are in poverty.
Malden Public Schools primarily uses the funding to support additional teachers for each of the K-8 schools who provide small group instruction to students in need. In addition, Title I funding supports literacy coaches in each of the buildings. The coaches work with classroom teachers and administration to help improve reading and writing for all students.
All of our K-8 schools are school-wide Title I projects. Thus, all students who attend the Beebe, Ferryway, Forestdale, Linden, and Salemwood are Title I students. All families who attend a Malden Public School in grades K-8 can attend any of our Title I events.
Why does Title I outreach to parents?
Title I is required under federal guidelines to have a plan to outreach to parents. Plus, research shows when families are involved in their children’s education, the students do better in school.
How does the Malden Public Schools Title I Program outreach to parents?
- The Title I program holds monthly parent workshops in the morning on different topics at each of the Title I Schools. We also hold four evening workshops each year as part of our Parent Academy for all K-8 parents that are held at the Salemwood School.
- Title I holds fun family nights at each of the schools a couple of times a year with food and something fun for the whole family to participate in.
- We use social media such as Facebook and the Malden Patch to share ideas with parents.
- Patti Amirault and Lisa Hammersley are our Title I Family Coordinators. They can help parents with any concerns or questions they have about the schools and helping their child. Patti and Paul can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
How can I learn more about the Malden Public Schools Title I Program?
- Stay tuned to our Malden Patch blog. We will be sharing more in the weeks to come.
- Like us on Facebook. Search “Malden Families” on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Malden-Families-141563825915572/
- Check out the Title I Parent Resource Center web page.
- Check for flyers for Title I events in your child’s backpack throughout the school year.
- Malden Public Library e-resources
- Kanopy Streaming Service provided by Boston Public Library
- For Kanopy use your Malden Public Library Card
Title I Videos
Parent Involvement Policies
Beebe Parent Involvement Policy 2020-2021
Ferryway Parent Involvement Policy 2020-2021
Forestdale Parent Involvement Policy 2020-2021
Linden Parent Involvement Policy 2020-2021
Salemwood Parent Involvement Policy 2020-2021
|Janice Raymond||Director of Literacy and Title Ifirstname.lastname@example.org||781-397-6107|
|Maureen Foster||Administrative Assistantemail@example.com||781-397-6107|
|Patti Amirault||Title I Parent Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Lisa Hammersley||Title I Parent Coordinatoremail@example.com|