COVID-19 Pooled Testing for K- 8 Students
Dear MPS Families,
We will begin weekly SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Pooled testing for K- 8 students beginning Monday May 3, 2021. Pooled testing is an additional mitigation strategy beyond staying home when sick, wearing masks, hand hygiene and physical distancing.
- The Pooled test is quick, easy and does not hurt. It is a gentle nasal swab to the lower inner nostril. Students if able, will self administer.
- The testing is free! You do not need to pay for the test or have insurance to get the test.
Why should I be part of the COVID-19 testing?
Being tested weekly can give staff, students, and parents some reassurance that active COVID-19 isn’t running rampant in the school. This is an act of selflessness to help our school community feel safe about coming to school. The weekly COVID-19 testing program is just another way we are striving to keep our school environment safe for everyone.
How do I sign my student up for testing?
To participate in the testing program and to keep the process as smooth as possible – you will need to complete the following THREE STEPS:
1. Create an account for your student on Project Beacon using this link by school:
2. Create an account for your student on Concentric by Ginkgo using this link
ALL schools Access code (you will need on the second screen): mutating-malden
3. Complete this google form: using this link
In order to participate in Pooled testing – Students MUST be signed up by Friday at 12 noon to take part in the following Monday testing. Please be sure your child is aware you have signed them up.
**Registration is only required one time.
How the Pooled testing works
- Participating individuals are tested individually once a week (Monday) with a nasal swab test. Each person does a shallow swab of their own nose by rotating four (4) times inside each nostril. A maximum of 10 swabs are mixed together into a group called a “pool” and sent out to a lab for a molecular PCR test and tested for COVID-19 at one time.
- Results of testing takes 48 hours – should receive results on Wednesday.
- If the pool test comes back negative, all students in the pool are COVID-negative. In this case, you will not hear from us.
- If the pool test comes back positive, it means that at least one person in the pool is COVID-positive. In this case, all students of that pool will be notified as soon as possible for an individual follow-up test.
- Individual follow-up tests using BinaxNOW antigen tests produce results in 15 mins. If the individual follow-up test comes back negative, the person may return to school as normal. If the individual follow-up test comes back positive, we will work with the person to isolate and get connected to care. The local Board of Health will be contacted and we will reach out to start the contact tracing process.
Concentric by Ginkgo is hosting an information session for families, on Thursday April 29th at 7PM.
Registration link: https://ginkgobioworks.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJ0kf–przwqGNKTalsna-S2xShg2sY3iZoo
Please contact our Director of Nursing, Patti Tramondozziwith any questions: