ELC Health Office
Lori Barrasso RN, BSN, MSN
Office: RM 122
Work phone: 781-397-7031
Office Hours: 8:00 AM to 2:30 PM
Please feel free to call anytime with questions or concerns about your child.
*Kindly inform the nurse if there has been any changes in your child’s medications or medical condition. Please send in a copy of your child’s updated physical exam so we may update his/her record.
Please help the school nurse care for your child by
- Informing the nurse if your child has any chronic or acute illnesses.
- Communicating with the nurse directly if medication or health needs change or if they have been exposed to a communicable disease such as a strep infection or chicken pox.
- Updating the phone numbers on your child’s emergency form so the nurse can always reach you.
- Sharing with the nurse if there is an event at home or in the family that may impact your child at school such as serious illness or death of a family member, death of a beloved pet.
Please keep your child home when the following symptoms are present
- Temperature of 100 degrees F or greater within the past 24 hours.
- Student must be temperature free for 24 hours without use of med (tylenol/motrin, etc.).
- Vomiting or diarrhea occurring within the past 24 hours.
- Strep infections of any kind, ringworm, conjunctivitis, or impetigo. These are all contagious infections and must be treated with medication for at least 24 hours before returning to school.
- Rash of unknown origin-this may indicate many different things and should be checked by your pediatrician.
- Pain should be taken seriously, especially in young children. Earaches, toothaches, and headaches should be evaluated.
- Untreated lice (pediculosis) infestation.
STATE IMMUNIZATION REQUIREMENTS FOR PRESCHOOL
- 4 DTaps,
- 3 Polios,
- 3 HEP B,
- 1 MMR,
- 1 Varicella or proof of Chicken Pox from MD,
- 3-4 HIBS
CITY OF MALDEN REQUIREMENTS
- Documentation of a lead test with dates & results,
- TB test with dates & results or an MD letter with TB low-risk screening status;
- Most recent Physical Exam: should be within the last calendar year from the date of registration.
The Malden Board of Health provides free lead testing* and TB testing for a $20 fee. Call for an appointment at Telephone: (781) 397-7000 ext. 2052
*Subject to available funding.
ELC Peanut Policy
The Early Learning Center makes every attempt to be a nut-free school. Before packing your child’s snack or lunch, please check food labels carefully for foods containing nuts, peanuts or peanut proteins. Peanut allergic reactions can be life threatening; even unseen peanut protein residuals on a desk or chair can trigger an allergic reaction in some people. Thank you for your cooperation.