Graduation Requirements at Malden High School
Students must pass a minimum of 21 credits (combination of full-year credits, 1.0 and semester
course credits, .5) based on the following requirements:
- 4 years/credits of English (9th, 10th, 11th, 12th grade English)
- 4 years/credits of Mathematics, one of which must be an Algebra course (for class of 2015 and beyond)
- 3 years/credits of Science, one of which must be Biology (with lab requirement)
- 3 years/credits of Social Sciences, which must include United States History I and II and the other in World History
- 2 years/credits of Wellness (Physical Education and Health)
- 2 years/credits from the following disciplines: Business, Technology Education, Fine Arts
- 3 core/elective years/credits from any discipline
All students must pass the Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System (MCAS) tests in
Mathematics, English Language Arts, and Science (typically Biology); students not meeting the
MCAS requirement but meeting all of the local MHS graduation requirements will receive a
certificate at graduation but not a Malden High School diploma.
The Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System (MCAS) is designed to meet the requirements of the Education Reform Law of 1993. students must pass the grade 10 tests in English Language Arts (ELA), Mathematics and one of the four high school Science and Technology Engineering tests as one condition of eligibility for a high school diploma, in addition to fulfilling MHS requirements.
In addition, the MCAS program is used to hold schools and districts accountable, on a yearly basis, for the progress they have made toward the objective of the No Child Left Behind Law that all students be proficient in Reading and Mathematics by 2014.
Malden High School offers a wide range of courses! Electives in each subject area have grown, and there are course offerings for all interests! For a full scope and sequence of Malden High School’s courses for all departments, please refer to the Program of Studies.
Malden High School’s GPA Scale
Class of 2015 and beyond
Numeric Grade Equivalent
Value Achievement Level
|Academic Prep/ Standard Level||College Prep||Honors||Advanced Placement|